Associated Students elections are here

Casey DeSain

Andrew Anderson, left, helps student like Ethan Lieberman realize how they can become more involved in their school through his promotion of the Associated Students elections.

By Saffana Hijaz, News Writer

Interested in running for student government and having a voice for Ventura County Community College students? Then the Moorpark College’s Associated Students upcoming elections are here just in time.

With all this talk about what should be done for our school and how we can better ourselves as a community college, students can take action and step up to make the change they want to see.

“It’s a great opportunity for students to serve and to learn leadership skills and represent the student body, because there is a lot of issues going on,” said the Associated Students member in charge of public relations, Andrew Anderson.

With 11 positions available to run for, the application and its qualifications are quite simplistic. Applications can be picked up in the Students Activities offices and Associated Students offices at all three campuses. Moorpark College’s is located in the Campus Center to the right, opposite the bookstore when you walk in.

It is important that these requirements are fulfilled before the application deadline, in order to start campaigning. Associated Students candidates and Student Trustee candidates are required to attend one candidate’s meeting at his or her primary campus. Dates are to be provided by each campus.

Beginning Wednesday, March 5, students can start applying up until Monday, April 14 at noon. Elections will be held April 22-23, with polls open from 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.

The original completed application can be submitted with eligibility verification to the elections chairperson in the Associated Students Office, Campus Center Room 152.

“We want students to really have a voice and to consider applying,” said Anderson. “It’s a great opportunity, you learn to get along with people and find common ground versus where you separate, and it looks good on college applications.”

The election results will be posted by April 24 at 6:00 p.m.