The Learning Center

Ciara Gallagher

Students studying in the Learning Center in the Moorpark College Library.

By Neville Madan, Staff Writer

It is another semester at Moorpark College, and most students are either working part-time or full-time. Many students here on campus are trying their best, but for some reason they have not been able to achieve the results that they have hoped for on either exams or quizzes.

But there is hope for them, thanks to the Learning Center on the third floor of the library. Students who are trying to improve their grades or are trying to get ahead in the courses can come to this location.

Whether it is math, english , or any other subject they can come there and talk to tutors and student tutors.

Tutoring services began at Moorpark College in 1978 but were not official until 1980. This was because students’ grades needed to get better and it was time for a change.

“Over 200 students come in every single day to try to improve their grades or to get ahead of their classmates,” says David Mayorga, the Head of the Math Department at Moorpark College.

Danny Hager, an instructor at the math lab says, “Students often come to the Learning Center because they have not been doing well in their courses. But since they come in, their grades have actually gotten much better.”

Josh Kraner, a math student, says, “Since I have gone to the Learning Center, my grades have gone from D’s and F’s to C’s and B’s.”

However, he feels that he could do much better and that there should be more instructors to help.

There are no fees to go to the Learning Center and any student, anyone , can go to  this center to get help in all of their subjects. For more information, please visit the Moorpark College website under the student services tab.