Sharon Manakas is health’s fearless leader

By Saffana Hijaz, Staff writer

For a woman who is consistently driving to keep the student’s health first and foremost in check, it is no wonder that she has been the head of all things health-related at Moorpark College for the past 22 years. Sharon Manakas, Coordinator of the Student Health Center at Moorpark College, recently went from classroom to classroom with the hope of educating college students on the amazing services provided at the SHC.

For students, 19 dollars for a semester of free services from professional staff, including nurses, doctors, marriage therapists and psychologists is essentially nothing. According to Manakas, these services could be useful to students.

“This age group, ages 18 to 24, is when we start to see mental health issues,” said Manakas.

Driven by genuine concern for the student body, Manakas has been involved with special services and clubs dedicated to mental health illnesses. This includes foundation and participation in many of the groups. As one of the head advisors of the NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illnesses) club, Manakas has dived in and taken responsibility for the Moorpark College student body by always looking for new ways to connect with students and make sure they stay their healthiest in this chaotic college life.

Manakas started her career by receiving her Associate’s degree in nursing from Ventura College, with the intention of helping people. She went on to California State Dominguez Hills to earn her bachelors degree, allowing her to work as a registered nurse and still go to school comfortably. She then finished up with her Master’s in nursing and education, before being motivated to work with Moorpark College students.

Her love and passion for helping students of the college age group has left her and her staff with a curiosity of different students year in and year out. Helping and attending to the students not according to the dollar, but according to what they can do for the person in need of medical assistance is their key quality point.

This key point became a part of her motivation to join the NAMI club. Many people hold a negative stigma toward the symptoms of mental illness, but people all around us can put on the face of being just fine, yet are struggling deep on the inside without realizing that they can receive help.

“It’s great to have someone I feel is like a mentor,” said President of the NAMI club, Gabriel Laria. “Someone who is upfront, but doesn’t step on anyone’s toes.”

Manakas has stepped in and helped organize and plan the NAMI Walk, guest speakers, and a video to address mental illness at the upcoming Multicultural Day. Activities such as the NAMI Walk is a 5k walk that helps raise awareness and fundraise for mental illnesses. Locally the Nami Walk will be at the Ventura Beach Promanade on May 3.

Aside from NAMI, Manakas will continue to aid 800 students a year in suicide prevention at Multicultural day again this semester.

As the Student Health Coordinator of Moorpark College, Manakas expresses that her dream is for the student health center to be a place where students can come and be heard.

Manakas has left a mark on both students and her peers, alike.

“I am so blessed to work for someone who knows what it is like to walk in the trenches, but can still guide you through them,” said Moorpark College Nurse Dena Stevens.

The hard work doesn’t end at Moorpark College. Manakas is reaching out to Moorpark High School after the tragic loss of a student to suicide late last year. This includes making an outreach in April on suicide prevention. The Health Center staff will not stop until a positive change is made.

“She is our fearless leader,” said Stevens. “We follow her because that’s who she is.”