Artist Denice Bartels previews her work in lecture at Moorpark

Ciara Gallagher

Denice Bartels speaks with art student about her artwork that is currently being shown at the Moorpark College art gallery in the Administration building. Bartels is currently living and working out of the Los Angeles area.

By Daniela Alvarez

Los Angeles-based artist Denice Bartels is bringing her ethereal works to Moorpark College in her exhibit “Drawing the Journey: From Reflected Light to Moonscapes.”

Bartels’ lecture in the Technology building on Feb.4 gave insight on what inspired her to create the pieces in her imaginative solo exhibition.

“As humans, we don’t get to see a lot of what is going on in the world,” said Bartels in her lecture. “I thought maybe seeing through the perspective of animals and nature would provide a different vision.”

With a voice and presence as calming as her pieces, Bartels explained that this exhibit in particular is about stepping out of a comfort zone, and delving into new experiences, influences, and materials. “Drawing the Journey: From Reflected Light to Moonscapes,” takes viewers through an adventure in space, sea, and inviting her audience to immerse themselves into the fantastical world Bartels has created combining them. Each piece provides a sense of connection with the natural world. Bartels‘ multimedia creations are filled with detailed images of nature, including marine life and sketches of the moon and sea.

“I spent most of my 20s traveling the world and a lot of that time I was in Africa and Europe where I experienced and saw so much,” said Bartels. “Much of that time is responsible for inspiring me to create the pieces for this exhibit,” added Bartels.

Bartels’ recent work has been a mixture of landscapes and surfaces, maintaining a black and white theme in every piece. In “Drawing the Journey: From Reflected Light to Moonscapes” however, Bartels steps out of her norm. The vibrantly colored sea creatures juxtaposed with the textured grayness of a moonscape result in an otherworldly visual experience for both Bartels and the audience.

“I had originally started out with just moonscape drawings but a voice inside my head told me it was not finished and I felt it was not finished,” said Bartels. “I have to honor my vision and respect the work, so I took a leap and worked with color and other images of nature.”

Bartels worked closely alongside Moorpark College art gallery curator and art faculty Erika Lizee and the students from Lizee’s Gallery Practices and Portfolio class.

“The students in this class are given hands-on experience installing shows, and it was great that Denice was the first artist they were able to work with,” said Lizee.

While it is typical for artists to question and analyze their own work, Bartels is fulfilled with the outcome of her pieces and the overall presentation of her exhibit. Bartels understands that giving up power and accepting judgment sometimes comes with the territory of creating art. In fact, she would have otherwise missed the opportunity to learn something and gain different outlooks had she not allowed herself to be artistically revealing, according to Bartels.

“I always encourage other artists to be actively engaged in art in any way they can,” said Bartels. “It can be useful to learn the audience’s opinions about your own work, as well as being receptive to their thoughts.”

Drawing the Journey: From Reflected Light to Moonscapes will be on display from Jan. 24 to Feb. 24 in the art gallery in the Administration building. Experiencing Bartels’ work is a visual treat the Moorpark community is sure to enjoy.