Sophomores shine as Moorpark defeats Ventura

Shaquille+Moore+of+the+Moorpark+College+Raiders+makes+his+way+toward+the+basket+on+Saturday+Feb+22+against+the+Ventura+College+Pirates.+

Ciara Gallagher

Shaquille Moore of the Moorpark College Raiders makes his way toward the basket on Saturday Feb 22 against the Ventura College Pirates.

By Chase Oliver, Staff Writer

The Moorpark College Raiders men’s basketball team upset rival Ventura college, 77-70.

The Raiders paid tribute to graduating sophomores JR Powell, Richard Thomas, Shayan Baloor, Adrian Powdich, and Stephen Saska in the pregame as well as head coach Remy McCarthy.

Sophomore guard Shayan Baloor was the MVP of the game as he scored 28 points, six rebounds, and six assists in his final game as a Raider.

“It felt good to get the win, we should have beat them the last time,” said Baloor.

The first half of the game was a close contest between the two teams. Both offenses traded baskets for the majority of the period. The Raiders went into the locker room at the end of the first half with a 35-32 lead.

Late in the second half the Raiders defense locked in. Allowing Moorpark to go on a 10-0 run. Moorpark held the lead for the rest of the game, and the Raiders cost the number one Pirates the division title.

The game also represented the end of an era at Moorpark. The Raiders said goodbye to long time coach Remy McCarthy, who announced the end of his 17-year reign. McCarthy coached his final game as the Moorpark mens basketball coach, as he will focus on coaching the Women.

“Any win is great, but I am just happy that my sophomores got to win in their last game,” said McCarthy.

The Raiders were led by Baloor, as well as guard Shaquille Moore, who had 17 points, and Center Austin Howell, who had 15 points and 10 rebounds.

“I finally felt healthy in this game. I didn’t have to worry about my knee at all,” said Baloor. ” I went into this game, and played it with no regrets just wanting to pick up this win.”

The Raiders ended the season with a 10-13 record overall, and 6-6 record in the WSC play. The Raiders will be seeing some major changes come this off-season.