March movie madness

By Daniela Alvarez, Staff writer

As “March Movie Madness” rolls around, moviegoers are looking forward to watching the variety of films released in March. Among those moviegoers are Moorpark College students. With student discounts and extra credit for class assignments, students are hurrying to the box office to watch the Top 5 March Movies.

First on the list is Wes Anderson’s “The Grand Budapest Hotel.” Anderson’s signature visual and narrative film style creates an imaginative world for both the characters and the audience. “The Grand Budapest” hotel follows hotel concierge Gustave, played by Ralph Fiennes, who teams up with the lobby boy, Zero, to prove Gustave’s innocence after being framed for a crime.

“I have always been very fond of Anderson’s films because they inspire me in my work,” said graphic design major David Villalpando, 22. “I’m mostly excited to see the color palette and costumes in this movie.”

The film stars Anderson’s frequent collaborators Bill Murray and Owen Wilson, among others. “The Grand Budapest Hotel” was released on March 7, and is an imaginative and adventurous experience young audiences, including students, are sure to enjoy.

The next most talked about film is Scott Waugh’s film adaptation of “Need for Speed” based on the popular 1990’s racing video games. The film stars “Breaking Bad’s”, Aaron Paul as street racer Tobey Marshall who races throughout the country in order to avenge the death of his friend. While critics are worried that Paul might play a character similar to that of Jesse Pinkman, the story of “Need for Speed” cannot be more different.

“I thought Aaron Paul would disappear after ‘Breaking Bad’,” said psychology major Teddi Thyfault, 18. “So I’m really excited to see him in Need for Speed.”

“Need for Speed” is set to release on March 14, and is an action-packed film perfect for students looking to re-live the experience of the beloved video games.

Another anticipated March film is “300: Rise of an Empire”, the prequel to the 2007 film “300”. The graphic action film is directed by Noam Murro and written by “300’s” director Zack Snyder. “300: Rise of an Empire” gives a theatrical outlook on the Persian invasion of Greece in 480 BC.

The film stars Sullivan Stapleton and Eva Green was released on March 7. While this prequel is under pressure of the success of “300”, students will both revel in the historical context of the film as well as its detailed cinematography.

With the end of the popular television show ‘Veronica Mars’, fans have waited for a proper finale. The film “Veronica Mars,” directed by Rob Thomas, is the answer to the fans’ demands. The movie takes place some years after the title character, played by Kristen Bell, leaves her life as a private eye and reunites with a former flame to solve a mystery.

“Veronica Mars” is set to release March 14 and has been one of the most long awaited murder mystery films. Audiences everywhere, especially students interested in crime-solving, will more than enjoy this thriller.

Last but not least is the historical drama “Cesar Chavez”, directed by renowned actor and director Diego Luna. As one of the most important films this year, “Cesar Chavez” tells the story of Mexican-American labor activist Cesar Chavez during the 1970s. Michael Peña plays the courageous Chavez, who fought endlessly for the fair treatment of agricultural workers.

“This is a film I am not only excited to see but feel proud and honored to watch and learn from it,” said Spanish major Aime Parra, 19.

The film also stars America Ferrera and Rosario Dawson, playing the parts of Helen Chavez and Dolores Huerta, respectively. “Cesar Chavez” is set to release March 28 and has avid moviegoers and history buffs excited for the upcoming film.