“Year of” lecture will offer psychological insight on subject

Courtesy of Andrea Rambo

The Year of Technology and Humanity is a year-long and campus-wide discussion of topic like this.

By Casey DeSain, News Editor

The year-long, school-wide discussion topic known as the Year of Technology and Humanity will hold its next event tomorrow at 2:30 p.m. in EATM 208.

This event is titled “Heart, Mind, and Brain: Psychological Insights into Technology and Humanity,” and will include three guests speakers each giving speeches about a different topic. The speakers at this event will be a panel of psychologists from Moorpark College and will present on the connection between technology and how humans behave, think, and feel.

The first speaker at this event will be Nadia Monosov, who will raise the question: can multi-tasking make you a better student? She will essentially explore how multi-tasking effects our minds, as well as our work efficiency.

“In current day society, we see people multi-tasking all the time,” says Monosov. “Are we good multi-taskers? Does multi-tasking make us more efficient or successful?”

Margaret Tennant will be the next speaker and will explore video games and the effects that it can have on our brains.

“A growing body of research explores the effects of video games and concludes that they can have several positive effects in how we think, socialize, and even help others,” says Tennant.

Julie Campbell will be the final speaker at this event, and she will explore whether or not technology is redefining our conception of death.

“Medical technology saves lives,” says Campbell. “However, with more ways to save and prolong life, comes more complex choices and decisions.”

Following the presentations, there will be a Q&A period in which audience members will have the opportunity to interact with the panel members. For more information, email Julie Campbell at [email protected].