Struggling with a heavy appetite and a light wallet? Take advantage of local restaurants

Ciara Gallagher

Two individuals are sitting in a food court studying.

By Jenny Seltzer, Staff writer

Located in a pocket of the Moorpark College Campus Center, a cafeteria inundated with vending machines seems like the only viable lunch option for students on a budget. However, those willing to escape campus for a quick bite can find refuge in local eateries offering student discounts.

As the cafeteria continues to draw a steady crowd during peak meal hours, students like Madiah Akram, an 18-year-old Biology major atMoorpark College, insist that financial restraints play a role in deciding what is on their plate for the day.

“I think if there were student discounts at certain places then I would go,” Akram said. “I would think about it as a couple more bucks [saved] so I can get something I really liked.”

Aside from the expected time crunch obstructing a journey off-campus, students are genuinely unaware of what is out there. Those looking for either a quick snack or a full meal often resort to the typical amenities found at Starbucks and McDonald’s. But what are the special offers for students to take advantage of near campus?

Further down Collins Dr. in The Moorpark Campus Plaza, family-owned Custom Melt and recently-opened Custom Pie are two restaurants cashing in on gourmet comfort food. Offering a wealth of sandwiches and pizza, Moorpark students also receive a free soft drink with any purchase at both locations.

Those looking for more adventure (or just burdened with a longer break in between classes) have the privilege of exploring the options in the Moorpark Marketplace on Los Angeles Ave. The restaurants encompass an outdoor patio for customers, making options easily available for large groups of friends with varying taste buds to enjoy together.

Students eager to experience a savory vacation for their palate can head over to Baja Fresh to take advantage of a free drink with any purchase.

Take your taste buds to Asia with a purchase of any meal over $4.99 at San Sai. Students get an additional 10% off their total, along with a promised free drink.

Lastly, Red Brick Pizza offers up the biggest discount to students with a whopping 15% off of all purchases.

With a myriad of options pulling students in different directions, the way to unlock the discounts throughout one’s community college experience is accessed by the Moorpark College Student I.D.’s. You can get your picture taken and purchase an I.D. on the spot for $10 a semester or $15 a year at the Campus Center. The Activities Card provides deals on entertainment, apparel, campus events, and most importantly, food. Presenting this card at participating Moorparkrestaurants qualifies even more opportunities to dine inexpensively.

The rewards reap dividends since the Associated Students channel the earnings from I.D. purchases to cycle back into student use. Student Services Director Melvin Kim states that while you are investing into future savings at restaurants or other facilities with a purchase of an I.D., you are also investing in fellow students and clubs.

“We want to give money to students so that they can have success in school,” Kim said.

In efforts to offer as many discounts as possible, Kim continues to negotiate with the list of participants each semester. Jersey Mike’s Subs, Donnatelli Pizza & Pasta, and Carli’s Bistro are just some of the few additions to the list of offerings.

“What happened last semester was that I was continually checking with businesses if they had the student discount, because the [list] we had prior to updating it was 4 years old,” Kim said. “This semester I just wrote up a new contract to get new businesses.”

To purchase a Moorpark College I.D., students can visit Webstar or the Business Office on campus. To offer additional suggestions for student discounts at local businesses, you can email [email protected].

Next time you are pressing your face against the glass of the vending machine waiting to receive your $5 prepackaged turkey sandwich, consider venturing off campus for a freshly made-to-order discounted delicacy.