Opinion: Return of sports helps all of MC

Located on the unused Baseball field, this marker serves to remind everyone of the 2012 budgets cuts which resulted in the demise of eight sports programs, including Baseball.

By Lee McPherson, Editor-in-Chief

At the dawn of a new era for Moorpark College Athletics, two fallen sports will rise from the ashes to begin anew.

As previously announced by Athletic Director Howard Davis, Moorpark will reinstate it’s Men’s Baseball and Men’s Cross Country teams for the 2014-2015 seasons. Since the decision was made, the campus has been abuzz with excitement, however no one more so than Davis.

LeeOnlineColumnphoto
Lee McPherson, Editor-in-Chief of the Student Voice

“There will be a time gap between paying the bills and getting paid. Nonetheless, adding these sports is in the best interests of Moorpark College on many fronts, including financially,” Davis said via press release.

Though on the surface, this decision signals the road to recovery for Athletics, it also displays the financial health of Moorpark College.

The college has agreed to pay for both team’s coach salaries, though the Athletics Department will be responsible for all other operational costs. This may seem insignificant, however the college showing monetary support for extracurricular programs is certainly an encouraging sign of financial security.

According to Davis, the move will actually prove fruitful for the college as the returning programs will bring money to the campus in the form of additional student-athletes. Furthermore, this episode also illustrates what happens when people do not realize they have something good until it is gone.

“The loss of these programs, especially America’s pastime, at Moorpark College shocked many people,” Davis said. “But, it also served to enlighten them to the need to become more involved in decisions being made on our campus. That has been, and will        continue to be, the rainbow in this horrible storm.”

Students can look forward to not only being able to watch both of these redeemed sports, but for some, there may be a roster spot open on Baseball or Cross Country.

For other cut sports, like Wrestling and Men’s Track, this decision adds hope that all of the previously removed sports will be revived at some point in the next few years; Baseball and Cross Country are only the beginning. The moral of this story is that sports  are something to be cherished by all.