Choir springs into action over concert

By Daniela Alvarez, Staff writer

As the spring season brightly approaches, choir is practicing non-stop for the upcoming Spring Choir Concert on April 12, in the Performing Arts Center. Although nerves and excitement build up within the choir, the drive to succeed is much stronger.

Choir director Jinyoung Jang expects both his students and the audiences to enjoy every piece. The pieces include “Ching a Ring Chaw” and the a cappella “Drunken Sailor,” among others. Jang is confident that choir’s skilled singers will be able to impress the audience with their vocal range.

“This is a good blend of pieces that I think there will be something each audience member enjoys,” said psychology major Stephanie Newton, 20.

While audiences might think that each choir member is a music major, these students range from a variety of majors. From 21-year-old pre-law major Andrew Fox to 20-year-old math major Lauren Hamilton, these choir students bring their passion to their favorite hobby.

“For me, [singing] is always something I will want to do,” said Fox.

Students are anxious but excited about the concert and hope that it can be a platform for not just displaying their talents, but also to have fun and do what they love—sing. The anticipation of this eclectic yet talented group of students serves as motivation to succeed during the concert.

The love choir members have for music and singing will definitely translate when it comes to the Spring Choir Concert. These students, along with Jang, feel prepared to perform. With hours of practices each week, both during school hours and at home, choir is hoping to give a memorable performance.

“We’re all car singers and shower singers,” said Hamilton. “So we’re ready for this concert.”

The Spring Choir Concert will be held at the Performing Arts Center on April 12 at 8 p.m. For information on tickets, please visit: http://www.moorparkcollege.edu/current_students/performing_arts/index.shtml