Suicide-prevention training a valuable resource for students

By Cassidy Abbitt, Staff writer

The Moorpark College Student Health Center is promoting a free suicide prevention-training program called At-Risk, which is available to all California community college students. A part of the CCC Student Mental Health Program; this program is funded through a grant from the California Mental Health Services Authority (CalMHSA).

At-Risk touches on topics such as recognizing signs of distress, techniques to talk to a friend you are concerned about, and available support services that are on campus.

The American College Health Association reports that the suicide rate among young adults, ages 15-24, has tripled since the 1950s and is currently the second most common cause of death among college students in the United States. This statistic is pushing colleges to increase the availability of mental health services for students and promote greater suicide awareness and prevention services. The growing need for suicide prevention training, especially in the college-age demographic, is met by this program, and can make a huge difference in our current college atmosphere.

On its website, At-Risk defines itself as “an online, evidence-based interactive gatekeeper training simulation designed for students and student leaders.“ The 30-minute simulation teaches students how to recognize when a peer is exhibiting signs of psychological distress and the appropriate methods of approaching and connecting them with support services. In addition, students learn effective conversation tactics and motivational interviewing techniques to carefully introduce the topic of depression and suicide, discuss their concern, and avoid common conversational pitfalls. Some common mistakes include attempting to diagnose the problem or giving unwarranted advice.

College students should take advantage of this program, as suicide and depression are such huge issues, especially at this stage of life. Promoting early intervention is a benefit of this training, as warning signs can be detected and help can be offered to students in need of the resources that are available to them that they may not even know about.

Many students take advantage of CPR and first-aid certification programs that are offered by the American Red Cross. The At-Risk training program is no different. Saving a life is not limited to performing the correct first-aid procedure or CPR on someone. Being a supportive and knowledgeable source regarding mental health issues and pointing someone in the right direction to get help can be just as effective.

If every student on campus completed this training, there would be an increased awareness for psychological distress, including depression and suicidal ideation here at Moorpark College. Distress can lead to trouble in school, addiction, dangerous behaviors, and even suicidal behaviors. Detecting signs of distress can prevent someone from falling deeper into their emotional and psychological turmoil. The support offered to them is a much-needed reminder that they are not going through their situation alone.

Academic performance could be positively affected if more students who needed help were directed to resources intended for them, such as the psychological counseling offered in the Health Center on campus. This is because students experiencing psychological distress are at a higher risk of dropping out of school according to the program’s website. At-Risk reports that approximately 45% of students enrolled in two-year colleges drop out before completing their first year. The program claims that counseling is an effective tool in increasing retention rates for students who are experiencing such distress.

Before completing the program I was unsure about how to approach a topic as sensitive as suicide with someone I may be concerned about. It is a situation I have never been in or thought much about, but after going through the conversational simulations and exercises in the training I feel much more confident in peer counseling and effective support-giving in general. If you have an interest in peer counseling or wish to improve conversational skills while learning about suicide prevention and resources, the At-Risk program is definitely worth completing.