News, sports, entertainment and opinions about the Moorpark College community

Moorpark College Reporter

Moorpark College Reporter

Moorpark College Reporter

Track & Field Preview

Moorpark College Long Jumper. File Photo

The Raiders were giving a 100% effort this past Thursday afternoon in preperation for their first meet Saturday.The athletes working together, improving their technique and getting ready for events such as long jump, high jump, triple jump, 100 hurdles and 400 hurdles, shot put, discus, javelin, one mile run, 100 meters, 200 meters and 400 meters.

“It’s all in your mind when it comes to the track and knowing that you can do it, just repeating in your head, you can do it!, you can do it!,” says, Eliza Nielsen, 20-year-old majoring in Psychology.   Her goal, along with the rest of the team, is to challenge herself to give the best in this last season.

Head Coach Traycie Kephart, says that everything will stay the same regardless that the program got cut for budget; training started as usual Monday to Friday from 1 p.m to 3 p.m and first event is on February 11th at Cal Tech Comers in Pasadena.

There is excitement and some feelings of nerves going into the first meet. This first event will help the Raiders see where they are, and can definitely help assess what expecations they can set for themselves this season.

Traver Edwards, a Broadcasting Journalism major has been in track since the age of 15 and thinks that track is a lot cheaper than other programs, and doesn’t understand why track and field have to go.

“I am very excited! We are going to try to do very well this year and hopefully win conference to prove to the athletic department that we are good enough team,” said Edwards.  “We have most of the equipment; all we need is the shoes and just run around. Hopefully, if we do well we can convince them to let us stay”.

It looks like the Raiders will continue to work hard and train, regardless of the budget cut to their program.

Second event to follow Friday, February 24 vs. WSC Relays Citrus College

Visit the Moorpark College Athletics website for more information. www.moorparkcollegeathletics.com